Friday, June 5, 2009

Chilean Horses,

John Austin contacted me several years ago when he ran into my web site and various articles I had written about the Chilean Horse. He and Jacqui had been in southern Chile during very rainy conditions and Jacqui felt so secure riding a Chilean Horse that John later wanted to inquire about buying one to ship up to his ranch. John would obviously do anything for the love of his life and being that Jacqui had a insecure feeling riding horses at the time, he thought nothing of bringing one from the other side of the world to help her conquer that fear.

After several email exchanges, it became obvious that John wanted me to act as his agent in finding this special saddle horse in Chile. Since the transaction required a good deal of trust, he decided to come meet me and determine if we had the right chemistry between us. Incredibly, John flew out of San Francisco, to L.A., L,A to Houston, Houston to Santiago and Santiago to Iquique (Chile) only taking the necessary time to make his connections. Twenty some hours later he stayed in our house where we conversed late into the night. He got up early the next day and took a dip in our pool and then off we went to get to know the city of Iquique, the geoglyphs of Pintado, the Oasis of Pica, my Chilean Horses in the oasis of Esmeralda, a quick lunch and then back to the Iquique airport to make the same trip back to San Francisco.

Needless to say, I was impressed. He definitely knew what he wanted, there was no doubt he was an intense person, he obviously was a good and quick judge of character and when he had a passion he pursued it enthusiastically. By the time all was said and done, he not only purchased the saddle horse for Jacqui, but also young mare in training for the Chilean Rodeo, four broodmares in foal to excellent stallions and a gorgeous young stallion for the breeding operation in Utah. Only one other person had gotten involved with breeding Chilean Horses in the USA before and that was back in the 80's. Nevertheless, the more we talked about the breed the more convinced he was that the Chilean Horses were going to be right at home in the Rockies. I think time has proven him right, as they have been a great source of enjoyment for John, Jacqui and many of their guests.

As a horseman and Professional Animal Scientist, it excited me to be able to be involved in this transaction of sending Chilean Horses to North America. However, as it turned out, the horses were simply the vehicle to a much better thing. I went back to see the horses in Boulder several times where I had the pleasure of getting to know Jacqui and build closer ties with John. Another year I was also able to visit John and Jacqui in their home in the Bay area. John and Jacqui invited my daughter Rochelle to their home and later to the BCC Ranch in Utah. On another occasion when my children (I have a son Rory also) and I were traveling throughout the west, we dropped in for yet another dose of Austin-Smalley hospitality in Boulder.

Many times I said to myself how happy I was that my children were able to have that experience of getting to know such special people and now more than ever, I know that the memory of John is etched in each one of us for life. What seemed like a interesting horse transaction, in fact developed into a wonderful friendship with one of the nicest couples I have ever run across. This gift in my life has no comparison with the satisfaction that came about through the common love for horses that made our paths cross.

John, just know that Rochelle, Rory and myself will always carry your memory close to our hearts. Jacqui, know that you have friends willing to help in any way, wherever we may be.

Randall Ray Arms

Note: The above picture is of 19 year old Talento (still competing). This Chilean Horse stallion has three times won the Championship of Chilean Rodeo. Only two other horses in history have done this.

No comments:

Post a Comment