Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I will always remember and be grateful that you came into my life.

Dear John,
I was so much hoping I would speak with you and while we recently exchanged emails, I never got the chance. Few people have affected my life so. When we were first introduced in 1982, I was a fledging medical director and you were my mentor. I vividly remember the time you hosted us in Squaw Valley. Skiing KT-22, and cross country skiing into Donner Pass, where we came across Puma tracks in the freshly fallen snow, along side the railroad trestle. The day was sunny and we rested for a while next to a running stream, with snow drifts surrounding us. It was magical.

I was so impressed with what you did, I left my job in Arizona and began working for HealthAmerica. You cheered me on and helped me think through difficult choices. You and Jacqui visited me after the birth of my daughter Brittany and brought her a doll, a folksy rabbit doll, dressed in gingham. I had never seen anything like it. Brittany has gone on to ride horses and now will be off to medical school in the fall. Twenty plus years passed in a heartbeat.

You touched base with me over the years but as you grew busier (and so did I) those touch points became separated by more and more time. Our common acquaintances would update me from time to time, as to what you were doing, and others who knew you would also inquire about you. I recently joined Coventry and reached out to you. Stryker forwarded your contact info and you replied by email, “I will get back to you shortly”.
John, you have touched many lives and I feel blessed to have known you. I was so much hoping I would speak with you again.

Your friend,
Mark Kishel

No comments:

Post a Comment