Monday, June 1, 2009

Dear Friend,

My wife, Scotty Mitchell, and I first met you and Jacqui 12 years ago at the Colby Street house. You had previously contacted Scotty in Crete to buy two of her Boulder pastel landscapes from the Boulder Mountain Lodge, offering us a month's vacation stay at your Boulder home. You gave us a warm, friendly welcome from the first meeting. You were renovating the Ross Street house and offered me the opportunity to design the garden. You loved the concept from the beginning and gave me free rein to evolve it into a showpiece project. Your enthusiasm and encouragement continued throughout, as we together created a 'historic' garden befitting the 1905 Arts and Crafts house itself. You provided a workspace for me, you met me from the airport, Jacqui loaned me her car, you included me in your home and circle of friends. Your friendship and generosity continued as I worked on other Bay Area landscape designs during the following years - always making your home my home.

As we started to settle into Boulder, you chose us as your neighbors, selling us an acre of land, and encouraging us a we built our house.
More recently we have continued our collaboration as I designed the landscape for your new home in Boulder. It's always been a pleasure and privilege to work with you - the perfect client ! And all the great meals and company we've shared together over the years!

As executive director of Boulder Community Foundation during the past 3 years, your support of our community and conservation efforts has been a mainstay of my,and our, work. Again, generosity, encouragement and friendship are the key words.

Ever the gentleman, tireless worker, creative thinker, keen gardener, lover of life and nature, great friend, and celebrator of humor - even appreciating my Monty Python wackiness ! ("Jolly good show", as you quipped in reference to me only a few days ago.)
My 12 years in Boulder are streaked through and through with the veins of gold of you and Jacqui.
My lasting gratitude and love to you both.
I will miss you, John, and will always cherish the memories.

(Thank you, Kirsten, for the wonderful photos.)

Tim Clarke

No comments:

Post a Comment