Thursday, June 4, 2009

Dear Jacqui and John -

I stepped into a new, exciting, and very challenging career several years ago--a step that proved momentous in both my personal and professional growth--and both of you were there from the very, very beginning. Jacqui, you know exactly what I mean. You both believed in me, put your faith in me, encouraged me, bolstered me, mentored me, inspired me. You have shared your time, talents, and energy with infinite generosity, and I cannot thank you enough. I watched you, Jacqui, pour yourself into our organization in every way possible: tirelessly embracing the necessary tasks; continually stepping up to lead new and daunting efforts; leading us all in your quiet, confident way; and never wavering from your wise vision of what we could be.

John was a mentor to me, and I so regret that I did not know him yet better. I am very grateful for the time and wisdom he was willing to share with me. I remember once when I was faced with some difficult decisions, he took me to lunch, he listened, and he helped me see clearly how best to lead. And he made it seem so easy. I remain grateful for his wisdom, clarity, compassion, and strength. I deeply admire the way John lived his life--from the career choices he made as a physician and a health-care provider, to the social causes he embraced, to his commitment to conservation...and, of course, his love of horses!

Jacqui, the same things are true of you. You are a tremendous conservationist and advocate, a visionary, an admirable leader, a beautiful spirit, and a wonderful friend. Thank you for your belief in me, and for all of the beauty and strength you share.

My heart aches for you. And as I read others' postings about John, I see yet more how very lucky you both were to have found each other and to have shared so much.

You are both an inspiration to us all--in your careers, in your values, in your lives. You have touched my life deeply. I hope my life can reflect some of the generosity, commitment and beauty that have permeated yours.

Love,
Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment