Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Memories of John Austin

I met John in the summer of 2002 when I came to Oakland for an interview with Ken Zimmerman for a financial analyst position with Arcadian Management Services. John and Ken took me out to lunch that day and I remember John took a special interest in my Dad who was at the time in a nursing home in Yountville. They wanted me to relocate from San Diego to Oakland and I remarked that it would be good because I would be a lot closer and be able to visit Dad more frequently. Through the years John would always make a point of asking how dad was doing. Dad passed away about 3 years ago and I am just now realizing that John Austin has in many ways been a father to me and I suspect many other Arcadians.

One year at Christmas I baked some biscotti for everyone in the office from an old family recipe. John complemented me and asked for the recipe which I gave to him. At the time I was not sure if he really liked the cookies or was just being polite. The next time I baked him cookies he remarked that he hopes there will be some left for him to bring home to Jacqui. He said they ate them in one sitting the last time so after that I started giving him a bigger bag of cookies when I baked them.

One year he invited everyone in the office to his house for lunch. It was spring time and his rose garden was in full bloom. I remember thinking I want a garden like this. I have been remodeling a house for the last 3 years and John would always ask about the progress. I was planning to have John come out to the house for lunch but was waiting until I finished the yard. I have been dreaming of planting a garden which was inspired by John house in Oakland. It makes me sad that I won’t be able to share it with him.

I would sometimes tease John about his car. He was driving this old Toyota camery that must have been more than ten years old, the paint was so faded. I remember when he finally bought a new car, correction a one year old used car. One night December 2007 John and I were at the airport about midnight, we were coming back from the service center Christmas party when our flight was delayed 3 hours. We were waiting for the parking van to come pick us up in the freezing cold and I remarked that with his wealth he should have a limo driver pick him up rather than stand in the cold. He would not have anything to do with that idea. When he gave his speech at the party he singled me out of the crowd with several others because I had been with the company for so many years. I commented back that my former employer had given a gold pin and a dinner after 5 years; I thought at lease he could take me to lunch after 7 years. He laughed and promised to take me to lunch. A couple months later John took me out to lunch at one of his favorite restaurants in Piedmont. He goes there for the Duck and we had a nice lunch just the two of us.

Gary Intersimone

No comments:

Post a Comment